Friday, 30 November 2012

Bob Ross

      Bob Ross was an American painter born October 29th 1942 and died July 4th 1995. He was also an art instructor and television host. He was best known for his show that he both created and hosted call The Joys of Painting that aired for over a decade on PBS in both Canada and the United States.
      Ross utilised the "wet on wet" techniques of oil paintings - which means that the painter continues to add paint on top of wet paint without waiting the lengthy time of the first layer to dry fully. In his show, he didn't use a huge variety of different colors but instead used basic colors and mixed them that way the viewer didn't have to spend a large amount of money to paint with him. He was inspired to do his most famous paintings of the lakes and mountains and trees when he spent his years living in Alaska. "I got a letter from somebody here a while back, and they said, 'Bob, everything in your world seems to be happy.' That's for sure. That's why I paint. It's because I can create the kind of world that I want, and I can make this world as happy as I want it. Shoot, if you want bad stuff, watch the news."

 
       The reason I decided to write about him is because I remember watching the reruns on T.V. and watching how fast and easy he made his paintings look, and I was amazed by it every time. I remember thinking to myself that I wish I could do that and maybe one day I could start. Although I don't do oil paintings like him, he does teach techniques that can be used for all paintings.
      He also has books on landscape and other paintings. He has oil painting kits as well. My father has one of his kits and has his oil paints as well as other family members like my grandmother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment